Learn AutoCAD online from the very beginning, drawing drafting symbols, kitchen and bath fixtures, and then a floor plan. We assemble everything into one deliverable sheet file. In this Introduction to AutoCAD class, become familiar with the AutoCAD user interface and basic AutoCAD commands, including Drawing, Modifying, Layering Standards, Text, Dimensioning and Plotting.
You will draw a floor plan for a small Habitat for Humanity residential project, starting at the very beginning.
You will be provided source AutoCAD files, which you will use to start your project. You will be provided videos which will guide you through the learning process. There will be quizzes relating to your project as well as to your reading assignments. There will be discussion forums in which you will be participating. There will be regular progress submissions of the work you completed and there will also be 1:1 time with your instructor.
The Introduction to AutoCAD class materials provided are identical in both our onsite and online training environments. The online courses begin every three weeks. The onsite courses are offered quarterly at our school campus in Point Loma.
About Your Instructor
Your instructor is an Autodesk Certified Instructor and also an experienced working professional who uses AutoCAD on a daily basis, preparing construction documents for commercial, educational and residential projects. Learn more about your instructor.
Learning AutoCAD Online at VDCI
VDCI encourages a strong online engagement between you, your instructor and your classmates. You will participate in group discussion forums, connect with your instructor and message your classmates. You are also invited to join us in the VDCI Student Lounge, where our instructors, staff, current students and alumni share information and help one another. Learn More about the VDCI Online Learning Experience.
- Create drafting symbols, kitchen and bath fixtures, a floor plan and integrate all information into one deliverable sheet file.
- Distinguish the differences required to generate drawings for use as annotation and real-world model components.
- Create and insert blocks and externally reference files, and determine the appropriate times to apply those skill sets.
- Master file management, drafting on layers, integrating drawing component files and plotting while creating on the class residential project.
The course is primarily designed for architects, interior designers, engineers, and others involved in the construction industry looking for an introduction to AutoCAD.
This course is designed for the working professional and those people interested in advancing their employment opportunities.
Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. The software will be downloaded directly onto your machine. Instructions are provided in the VDCI Student Portal for your course.
Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality (10 mbps) Internet bandwidth.
Although is it NOT REQUIRED, VDCI recommends that you use two monitors when you are taking our classes. You will be using the VDCI Student Portal on one monitor and using the software on the other monitor.
Software installation and configuration guidance is provided in the VDCI Student Portal for your course. If you run into complications during installation or configuration, please contact our Program Manager at 619-758- 9300 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for one of our staff to assist you.
Onsite Open Labs
Open labs are available for use in completing homework assignments and for additional "practice time" for all of our students who are within a convenient driving distance of our San Diego campus.
AutoDesk Certification Objectives
DRAW OBJECTS PROFESSIONALLY
- Draw lines and rectangles
- Draw Circles, Arcs, and Polygons
DRAW WITH ACCURACY
- Use object-snap tracking
- Move and copy objects
- Rotate and scale objects
- Create and use arrays
- Trim and extend objects
- Offset and mirror objects
- Fillet and chamfer objects
USE ADDITIONAL DRAWING TECHNIQUES
- Apply hatches and gradients
- Change object properties
- Alter layer assignments for objects
- Control layer visibility
- Assign properties by object or layer
- Manage layer properties
REUSE EXISTING CONTENT
- Work with blocks
- Manage block attributes
- Reference external drawings and images
- Add and modify text
- Use dimensions
LAYOUTS AND PRINTING
- Set printing and plotting options
Certification / Accreditation
- Autodesk Course Completion eCertificate: The VDCI onsite and online courses are approved by Autodesk for eLearning. You will receive an Autodesk Course Completion certificate when you complete each class.
- Autodesk Learning Partner: VDCI | cadteacher is the #1 Autodesk Authorized Training Center (ATC) and the first Autodesk Academic Partner (AAP) in North America.
- National Accreditation: Our individual courses, training bundles and technology certificate programs are nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). All of our courses are regulated and reviewed by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- State of California Approval: Our programs are approved by the State of California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) for both blended (onsite and online) and online-only learning.
- Autodesk Professional Certification Exams: For many of their software programs, Autodesk offers User and Professional Certification Exams which test your skills and knowledge. VDCI | cadteacher strongly encourages our students to take the exams and become Certified Autodesk Professionals. As an Autodesk Certified Professional, you can enhance your credibility and can accelerate your professional development. Many employers insist on hiring Autodesk Certified Professionals.
- Fundamental working knowledge of the Windows environment or instructor approval. Manual drafting experience preferred.
Computer Hardware Requirements
- In order to run Autodesk software, your computer must meet these hardware requirements
- Mastering AutoCAD
- For International Students, VDCI does not ship textbooks internationally. Please click here to obtain the ISBN number and order the book from Amazon in your home country.
Our classes are fast-track, accelerated courses.
If you have ANY CONCERNS about your computer competency, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you improve your computer skills before attending the class.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth with a download speed of 10 Mbps.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. The software provided will either be downloaded directly onto your machine or you will access the software on one of our Virtual Servers. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth. It is also very important, if you are accessing our Virtual Servers, that you pay special attention to the MP4 and PDF guidance provided regarding saving your project files (datasets) onto your local machine.
There are two discussion forums for the course, the Student Forum and the Graded Forum.
The Student Forum is for you to interact with your fellow classmates, to discuss issues you are having, and get to know one other much like you would in a classroom environment.
The Graded Discussion Forum requires an initial post and a response to another student. These will be part of your final grade. Your initial discussion post is due Monday, one week from the beginning of class, by 11:55pm Pacific Time. Your second discussion post must be a response to another student, and it is due by the end of the course.
VDCI Student Lounge
The VDCI Student Lounge is open to all VDCI Students and Alumni. In the Student Lounge, you are welcome to ask general questions to your VDCI colleagues. Instructors and VDCI staff regularly chime in. This is a great center of engagement for our VDCI community.
Students will receive a detailed syllabus once they are enrolled in the course.
Lesson 1 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students become familiar with the AutoCAD User Interface and begin creating architectural drafting symbols that will later be used in the final.
- PROJECT: Architectural Symbols
Lesson 2 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students review coordinate entry and entity selection methods and also create electrical symbols that will be used in their final course project.
- PROJECT: Electrical Symbols
Lesson 3 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin creating fixtures, a refrigerator, a shower, and a toilet, for use in their final course project.
- PROJECT: Bathroom Fixtures
Lesson 4 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students continue working on household fixtures creating a range, a bathroom sink, and a kitchen sink to use in their final course project.
- PROJECT: Kitchen Fixtures
Lesson 5 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin drafting their final floor plan by creating walls, openings, windows, and setting up their sheet file.
- PROJECT: Floor Plan
- PROJECT: Architectural Sheet File
Lesson 6 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students complete their final by creating doors, adding previously drawn fixtures and symbols, adding dimensions and finishing with plotting and the eTransmit process.
- PROJECT: Floor Plan
- PROJECT: Architectural Sheet File
- FINAL EXAM: eTransmit of Architectural Sheet File
cadteacher / vdci online course – ALL COURSES
|Jan 25 - Feb 11, 2019||ONLINE|
|Feb 15 - Mar 04, 2019||ONLINE|
|Mar 08 - Mar 25, 2019||ONLINE|
|Mar 29 - Apr 15, 2019||ONLINE|
|Apr 19 - May 06, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 10 - May 27, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 31 - Jun 17, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jun 21 - Jul 8, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jul 12 - Jul 29, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 02 - Aug 19, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 23 - Sep 09, 2019||ONLINE|
|Sep 13 - Sep 30, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 04 - Oct 21, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 25 - Nov 11, 2019||ONLINE|
|Nov 15 - Dec 02, 2019||ONLINE|
|Dec 06 - Dec 23, 2019||ONLINE|
*Onsite Classes may be canceled due to minimum enrollment requirements
ONSITE - Evening Classes
|2019||Jan 07 - Jan 23, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00||Apr 01 - Apr 17, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00||Jul 08 - Jul 24, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00||Sep 23 - Oct 09, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00|