Problems are rarely 100% technical. They require communication, connection, self-management, teamwork and collaboration. Learn the essential skills which are often overlooked. These skills are not taught in school. Improve your ability to solve problems, thrive on teams and lead others.
In this course, you will learn:
- How to build connections
- Make requests
- Engage in conflict management and negotiation
- How to build your Emotional Intelligence
- Collaboration with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- The art of public speaking and body language
Can I work at my own pace?
Yes. You can work at your own pace. Each course is 18 days long. You will have two weeks and three weekends to complete the course. There are set deliverable schedules which are addressed in the course syllabus.
Enjoy this class, and the Essential Skills for the Technical Professional course series!
- All students are expected to have a working ability to read in English and an interest in learning the skills necessary for professional development in the technical world.
- You will need to have access to a computer or smart device which can reliably stream our course videos. An internet connection of 10 mbps or higher is recommended.
- No software is required for this course.
- There is no textbook for this course.
- Career Options (PDF/200KB)
Bandwidth Access to the Internet
Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth with a download speed of 10 Mbps.
There are two discussion forums for the course, the Student Forum and the Graded Forum.
The Student Forum is for you to interact with your fellow classmates, to discuss issues you are having, and get to know one other much like you would in a classroom environment.
The Graded Discussion Forum requires an initial post and a response to another student. These will be part of your final grade. Your initial discussion post is due the first Monday of class, by 11:59pm Pacific Time. Your second discussion post must be a response to another student, and it is due by the end of the course.
VDCI Student Lounge
The VDCI Student Lounge is open to all VDCI Students and Alumni. In the Student Lounge, you are welcome to ask general questions to your VDCI colleagues. Instructors and VDCI staff regularly chime in. This is a great center of engagement for our VDCU students.
Students will receive a detailed syllabus once they are enrolled in the course.
Online Course Start Dates
Please click here to see the online course schedule. Online courses begin every three weeks, on a Friday and are 18-days long.