In this online Revit Structure course, BIM 342, you will continue the structural project started in BIM 341 using the Revit Structure tools. This course teaches you how to update the Revit Structure model elements, add annotations, set up detail sheets, create framing elevations and to create a completed set of structural construction documents for this four-story commercial project.
Your instructor is a Certified Autodesk Instructor and is a practicing Structural Engineering Professional who uses Revit Structure on a daily basis. This course is designed to teach, students with an interest in the real world structural aspects of building modeling and design including interaction with other disciplines about the resources available to them thru the program aspects of the Revit Structure software.
Students will learn, through project-based exercises, how to develop a structural model of a commercial project from the very beginning of the project to completion of the final 3D model.
Topics will include the setting up a project for success, correctly modeling and placing key structural elements, and using correct modeling practices.
By the conclusion of the class, the student will gain valuable knowledge about the tools for modeling in Revit Structure and have an understanding of its intricacies.
- Continue modeling an accurate structure, for use in all program aspects of project and construction of a real-world model.
- Finish developing and annotating a project from the very beginning and see its completion thru all aspects of BIM modeling and drawing production.
- Gain an understanding of real world practices for the effective integration of an interactive project with other disciplines.
AutoDesk Certification Objectives
- Place and modify structural columns
- Place and modify walls
- Create custom wall types
- Place footings
- Create a concrete slabs and/or floors
- Create and modify stepped walls in foundations
- Place rebar
- Add beams
- Add beam systems
- Add joists
- Add cross bracing to joists
- Create and use trusses
- Create and modify floors
- Create and modify custom floors
- Create and modify sloped floors
- Add floor openings for stairs
- Create and modify stairs
- Create and modify ramps
- Model and use roofs
- Using temporary dimensions
- Annotate beams
- Add and modify text annotations
- Add and use dimensions and dimension labels
- Use detail components
- Create and modify column schedules
- Create and modify footing schedules
- Create and modify standard sheets
- Create section views
- Create framing elevations
- Use callout views
- Fundamental working knowledge of the Windows environment.
- BIM 101, BIM 201, BIM 341 or instructor approval.
- Hardware Requirements
- Access to 10 mbps Internet
- Competency in reading and writing English
- All course training is in English. That includes oral, written, media-based and other administrative communication.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth with a download speed of 10 Mbps.
- Mastering Autodesk Revit Structure
- For International Students, VDCI does not ship textbooks internationally. Please click here to obtain the ISBN number and order the book from Amazon in your home country.
Can I work at my own pace?
Yes. You can work at your own pace. Each course is 18 days long. You will have two weeks and three weekends to complete the course. There are set deliverable schedules which are addressed in the course syllabus.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. The software provided will either be downloaded directly onto your machine or you will access the software on one of our Virtual Servers. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth. It is also very important, if you are accessing our Virtual Servers, that you pay special attention to the MP4 and PDF guidance provided regarding saving your project files (datasets) onto your local machine.
There are two discussion forums for the course, the Student Forum and the Graded Forum.
The Student Forum is for you to interact with your fellow classmates, to discuss issues you are having, and get to know one other much like you would in a classroom environment.
The Graded Discussion Forum requires an initial post and a response to another student. These will be part of your final grade. Your initial discussion post is due Monday, one week from the beginning of class, by 11:55pm Pacific Time. Your second discussion post must be a response to another student, and it is due by the end of the course.
VDCI Student Lounge
The VDCI Student Lounge is open to all VDCI Students and Alumni. In the Student Lounge, you are welcome to ask general questions to your VDCI colleagues. Instructors and VDCI staff regularly chime in. This is a great center of engagement for our VDCI community.
Students will receive a detailed syllabus once they are enrolled in the course.
Lesson 1 - Equivalent of seven (7) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin by relinking the architectural and structural models, developing footings, slabs, stepped footings, stair shafts and learning more about framing and view ranges within the BIM model.
Lesson 2 - Equivalent of seven (7) On-Site Clock Hours
Students will begin working on their titleblocks, creating project sheets and annotating within the construction documents.
Lesson 3 - Equivalent of eight (8) On-Site Clock Hours
Students will be working on structural details and detail sheets.
Lesson 4 - Equivalent of eight (8) On-Site Clock Hours
Students complete this course by generating exterior and interior frame elevations, placing that information on sheets and working with structural schedules.
Online Course Start Dates
Please click here to see the online course schedule. Online courses begin every three weeks, on a Friday and are 18-days long.