This course uses the Revit Structure tools to create an accurate structural model of a real-world, four-story commercial project. You will develop a structural project from the very beginning and see its completion through all aspects of BIM modeling. You will gain an understanding of real-world practices for the effective integration of an interactive project with other disciplines.
Your instructor is a Certified Autodesk Instructor and is a practicing Structural Engineering Professional who uses Revit Structure on a daily basis. This course is designed to teach students with an interest in the structural aspects of building design and construction about the resources available to them thru the modeling aspects of the Revit Structure software.
Students will learn, thru project-based exercises, how to develop a structural model of a parking structure from the very beginning of the project to completion of the final 3D model.
Topics will include the setting up a project for success, correctly modeling and placing key structural elements, and using correct modeling practices.
By the conclusion of the class, the student will gain valuable knowledge about the tools for modeling in Revit Structure and have an understanding of its intricacies.
- Create an accurate structure, for use in all program aspects of designing a project and the construction of a real-world model using Revit Structure.
- Develop a project from the very beginning and see its completion thru all aspects of BIM modeling.
- Gain an understanding of real world practices for the effective integration of an interactive project with other disciplines.
This course is designed for engineers, architects, designers, drafters, project managers and others involved in the construction industry looking to explore the more advanced methods of documenting a building's Structural systems using Revit Structure.
Class participants will receive a grade based on their competency proven in the assessments (quizzes and tests) and their participation in the discussion forums.
Class grades will be determined by the total number of points achieved in the following categories:
Final grades are determined using the following scale:
|Letter Grade||Percent||Grade Points|
|A+||98 - 100||4.00|
|A||94 - 97||3.67|
|A-||90 - 93||3.50|
|B+||87 - 89||3.33|
|B||83 - 86||3.00|
|B-||80 - 82||2.67|
|C+||77 - 79||2.33|
|C||73 - 76||2.00|
|C-||70 - 72||1.67|
|D+||67 - 69||1.33|
|D||63 - 66||1.00|
|D-||60 - 62||0.67|
|F||0 - 59||0.00|
The weighted values will be summed into total points achieved.
Open labs are available for use in completing homework assignments and for additional "practice time" for all of our students who are within a convenient driving distance of our San Diego campus.
There is an additional cost for technical support setting up your computer system loading the Autodesk software, if you need that additional support. Please contact our Program Manager at 619-758-9300 or email@example.com to receive that information.
AutoDesk Certification Objectives
- Place and modify structural columns
- Place and modify walls
- Create custom wall types
- Place footings
- Create a concrete slabs and/or floors
- Create and modify stepped walls in foundations
- Place rebar
- Add beams
- Add beam systems
- Add joists
- Add cross bracing to joists
- Create and use trusses
- Create and modify floors
- Create and modify custom floors
- Create and modify sloped floors
- Add floor openings for stairs
- Create and modify stairs
- Create and modify ramps
- Model and use roofs
- Create and modify levels
- Create and modify structural grids
- Import AutoCAD files into Revit
- Link Revit models
- Control the visibility for linked objects
- Create section views
- Create framing elevations
- Use callout views
Certification / Accreditation
- Autodesk Course e-certificate: The VDCI onsite and online courses are approved by Autodesk.
- cadteacher/VDCI is an Authorized Autodesk Training Center (ATC).
- State of California Approval - Our individual courses, training bundles and technology certificate programs are approved by the State of California's Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) for both online and onsite learning.
- National Accreditation - Our individual courses, training bundles and technology certificate programs are nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). All of our courses are regulated and reviewed by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Autodesk Professional Certification Exams: For many of their software programs, Autodesk offers User and Professional Certification Exams which test your skills and knowledge. VDCI strongly encourages our students to take the exams and to become Certified Autodesk Professionals. As an Autodesk Certified Professional, you can enhance your credibility and can accelerate your professional development. Many employers insist on hiring Autodesk Certified Professionals.
- Fundamental working knowledge of the Windows environment.
- BIM 101, BIM 201 or instructor approval.
Computer Hardware Requirements
- In order to run Revit software, your computer must meet these hardware requirements
- Mastering Autodesk Revit Structure
Our classes are fast-track, accelerated courses.
If you have ANY CONCERNS about your computer competency, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you improve your computer skills before attending the class.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth with a download speed of 10 Mbps.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. The software provided will either be downloaded directly onto your machine or you will access the software on one of our Virtual Servers. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth. It is also very important, if you are accessing our Virtual Servers, that you pay special attention to the MP4 and PDF guidance provided regarding saving your project files (datasets) onto your local machine.
There are two discussion forums for the course, the Student Forum and the Graded Forum.
The Student Forum is for you to interact with your fellow classmates, to discuss issues you are having, and get to know one other much like you would in a classroom environment.
The Graded Discussion Forum requires an initial post and a response to another student. These will be part of your final grade. Your initial discussion post is due Monday, one week from the beginning of class, by 11:55pm Pacific Time. Your second discussion post must be a response to another student, and it is due by the end of the course.
VDCI Student Lounge
The VDCI Student Lounge is open to all VDCI Students and Alumni. In the Student Lounge, you are welcome to ask general questions to your VDCI colleagues. Instructors and VDCI staff regularly chime in. This is a great center of engagement for our VDCI community.
Students will receive a detailed syllabus once they are enrolled in the course.
Lesson 1 - Equivalent of Five (5) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin by linking in the architectural file; copy/monitoring grids and datum elements.
Lesson 2 - Equivalent of Five (5) On-Site Clock Hours
Students create a grade beam family and begin constructing the foundation.
Lesson 3 - Equivalent of Five (5) On-Site Clock Hours
Students load families and begin placing beams, columns and girders.
Lesson 4 - Equivalent of Five (5) On-Site Clock Hours
Students complete structural elements and create sheets.
cadteacher / vdci online course – ALL COURSES
|Mar 29 - Apr 15, 2019||ONLINE|
|Apr 19 - May 06, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 10 - May 27, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 31 - Jun 17, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jun 21 - Jul 8, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jul 12 - Jul 29, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 02 - Aug 19, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 23 - Sep 09, 2019||ONLINE|
|Sep 13 - Sep 30, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 04 - Oct 21, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 25 - Nov 11, 2019||ONLINE|
|Nov 15 - Dec 02, 2019||ONLINE|
|Dec 06 - Dec 23, 2019||ONLINE|