In this online and onsite AutoCAD course, we create a floor plan, multi-scale enlarged plans, roof plan and building elevations for a more complicated one-story residence. We develop a titleblock from scratch, including all of the associated file components. This project will be continued in CAD 302, Construction Documents 2.
CAD 301 is the first in a two-part series where we develop a complete set of construction documents for a residential project. This online AutoCAD class is designed to follow CAD 101 and 201. Knowledge and confidence in the application of 2D computer documentation tools will be gained through hands-on training exercises and instructor presentations. Terrific real-world, project-based learning. You will learn important, relevant & practical CAD workflow skills in this online AutoCAD course.
Your instructor is an Autodesk Certified Instructor and also an experienced working professional who uses AutoCAD on a daily basis, preparing construction documents for commercial, educational and residential projects.
VDCI encourages a strong online engagement between you, your instructor and your classmates. You will participate in group discussion forums, connect with your instructor and message your classmates. You are also invited to join us in the VDCI Student Lounge, where our instructors, staff, current students and alumni share information and help one another.
In this AutoCAD course, we also develop a titleblock from scratch, including all the associated file components. In this online AutoCAD class, you will learn about important AutoCAD commands, menuing systems and project workflow. Real-world, project-based learning. Strong Instructor engagement.
The course covers two-dimensional (2D) drawing commands and drafting techniques for developing construction documents including dimensioning, layout environments, layering systems and plotting.
The AutoCAD Construction Documents 1 course materials provided are identical in both our onsite and online training environments. The online courses begin every three weeks. The onsite courses are offered quarterly at our school campus in Point Loma.
- Create titleblock and titleblock/drawing label components for a professional office to facilitate development of deliverable sheet files.
- Create floor plan, enlarged plan, roof plan and building elevation of a moderately complex residential project. Includes the development of floor plan, roof plan and elevation notes.
- Successfully integrate referenced files to create construction documents. Demonstrate layer and file management, use of model/layout environments and multi-scale drawing presentation.
- Apply intermediate-level skills to create sheet layout environments and plotting.
- Organize deliverable sheet set to conform to the National CAD Standards.
This course provides excellent construction document skills for designers, architects and others seeking professional advancement through acquiring two- dimensional computer design skills.
Class participants will receive a grade based on their competency proven in the assessments (quizzes and tests) and their participation in the discussion forums.
Class grades will be determined by the total number of points achieved in the following categories:
Final grades are determined using the following scale:
|Letter Grade||Percent||Grade Points|
|A+||98 - 100||4.00|
|A||94 - 97||3.67|
|A-||90 - 93||3.50|
|B+||87 - 89||3.33|
|B||83 - 86||3.00|
|B-||80 - 82||2.67|
|C+||77 - 79||2.33|
|C||73 - 76||2.00|
|C-||70 - 72||1.67|
|D+||67 - 69||1.33|
|D||63 - 66||1.00|
|D-||60 - 62||0.67|
|F||0 - 59||0.00|
The weighted values will be summed into total points achieved.
Open labs are available for use in completing homework assignments and for additional "practice time" for all of our students who are within a convenient driving distance of our San Diego campus.
There is an additional cost for technical support setting up your computer system loading the Autodesk software, if you need that additional support. Please contact our Program Manager at 619-758-9300 or email@example.com to receive that information.
AutoDesk Certification Objectives
DRAW OBJECTS PROFESSIONALLY
- Draw lines and rectangles
- Draw Circles, Arcs, and Polygons
DRAW WITH ACCURACY
- Use object-snap tracking
- Use Coordinate Systems
- Move and copy objects
- Rotate and scale objects
- Create and use arrays
- Trim and extend objects
- Offset and mirror objects
- Use grip editing
- Fillet and chamfer objects
USE ADDITIONAL DRAWING TECHNIQUES
- Draw and edit polylines
- Blend between objects with splines
- Apply hatches and gradients
- Change object properties
- Alter layer assignments for objects
- Control layer visibility
- Assign properties by object or layer
- Manage layer properties
REUSE EXISTING CONTENT
- Work with blocks
- Manage block attributes
- Reference external drawings and images
- Add and modify text
- Use dimensions
- Add and modify multileaders
- Use tables
LAYOUTS AND PRINTING
- Create layouts
- Use viewports
- Set printing and plotting options
Certification / Accreditation
- Autodesk Course e-certificate: The VDCI onsite and online courses are approved by Autodesk.
- cadteacher/VDCI is an Authorized Autodesk Training Center (ATC).
- State of California Approval - Our individual courses, training bundles and technology certificate programs are approved by the State of California's Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) for both online and onsite learning.
- National Accreditation - Our individual courses, training bundles and technology certificate programs are nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). All of our courses are regulated and reviewed by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Autodesk Professional Certification Exams: For many of their software programs, Autodesk offers User and Professional Certification Exams which test your skills and knowledge. VDCI strongly encourages our students to take the exams and to become Certified Autodesk Professionals. As an Autodesk Certified Professional, you can enhance your credibility and can accelerate your professional development. Many employers insist on hiring Autodesk Certified Professionals.
- Fundamental working knowledge of the Windows environment or instructor approval. CAD 101, CAD 201 (or equivalent with instructor approval) or three months working with AutoCAD in the professional environment. Manual drafting experience preferred.
Computer Hardware Requirements
- In order to run Autodesk software, your computer must meet these hardware requirements
- Mastering AutoCAD
Our classes are fast-track, accelerated courses.
If you have ANY CONCERNS about your computer competency, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you improve your computer skills before attending the class.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth with a download speed of 10 Mbps.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. The software provided will either be downloaded directly onto your machine or you will access the software on one of our Virtual Servers. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth. It is also very important, if you are accessing our Virtual Servers, that you pay special attention to the MP4 and PDF guidance provided regarding saving your project files (datasets) onto your local machine.
There are two discussion forums for the course, the Student Forum and the Graded Forum.
The Student Forum is for you to interact with your fellow classmates, to discuss issues you are having, and get to know one other much like you would in a classroom environment.
The Graded Discussion Forum requires an initial post and a response to another student. These will be part of your final grade. Your initial discussion post is due Monday, one week from the beginning of class, by 11:55pm Pacific Time. Your second discussion post must be a response to another student, and it is due by the end of the course.
VDCI Student Lounge
The VDCI Student Lounge is open to all VDCI Students and Alumni. In the Student Lounge, you are welcome to ask general questions to your VDCI colleagues. Instructors and VDCI staff regularly chime in. This is a great center of engagement for our VDCI community.
Students will receive a detailed syllabus once they are enrolled in the course.
Lesson 1 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students create the floor plan while focusing on reading handout dimensions and the layout of the interior walls. Design center is also used to import graphic information.
- PROJECT: Developing the Floor Plan
Lesson 2 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students create title blocks, title block text files, drawing titles, and various no plot views.
- PROJECT: Developing the Titleblock and Component Files
Lesson 3 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students add dimensions to their floor plan model.
- PROJECT: Dimensioning the Floor Plan
- PROJECT: Architectural Sheet File - A201
Lesson 4 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students create a multi-scale drawing that contains enlarged plans of the kitchen, the guest bathroom, the jack and jill bathroom area and also the fireplace area.
- PROJECT: Developing a multi-scale deliverable sheet file
- PROJECT: Architectural Sheet File - A202
Lesson 5 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin developing their roof plan and building a sheet file which will contain both the roof plan and the building elevation.
- PROJECT: Developing the Roof Plan
- PROJECT: Architectural Sheet File - A301
- PROJECT: Creating Keynote Legends
Lesson 6 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students will be working on the building elevation drawing and integrating it into the A3.1 deliverable sheet file.
- PROJECT: Developing Building Elevation
- PROJECT: Architectural Sheet File - A301
cadteacher / vdci online course – ALL COURSES
|Jan 25 - Feb 11, 2019||ONLINE|
|Feb 15 - Mar 04, 2019||ONLINE|
|Mar 08 - Mar 25, 2019||ONLINE|
|Mar 29 - Apr 15, 2019||ONLINE|
|Apr 19 - May 06, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 10 - May 27, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 31 - Jun 17, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jun 21 - Jul 8, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jul 12 - Jul 29, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 02 - Aug 19, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 23 - Sep 09, 2019||ONLINE|
|Sep 13 - Sep 30, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 04 - Oct 21, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 25 - Nov 11, 2019||ONLINE|
|Nov 15 - Dec 02, 2019||ONLINE|
|Dec 06 - Dec 23, 2019||ONLINE|
ONSITE - Evening Classes
|2019||Feb 18 - Mar 06, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00|
|May 13 - Jun 03, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00|
|Aug 19 - Sep 04, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00|
|Nov 04 - Nov 20, 2019||M/W||5:30pm-9:30pm||$425.00|