In this Civil 3D course, you will create a topographic survey document by importing relevant field-generated data. You will develop site parcels using survey data, including surface generation and surface manipulation. You will also create site profiles and master surface and point manipulation tools to reflect existing and future site conditions.
Your instructor is a licensed Civil Engineer, works with AutoCAD Civil 3D on a daily basis and is also an Autodesk Certified Instructor.
VDCI encourages a strong online engagement between you, your instructor and your classmates. You will participate in group discussion forums, connect with your instructor and message your classmates. You are also invited to join us in the VDCI Student Lounge, where our instructors, staff, current students and alumni share information and help one another.
Our online Introduction to AutoCAD Civil 3D training course is an introductory level course for civil engineers, civil engineering drafters, surveyors, utilities engineers, storm water engineers and others involved in the construction industry seeking professional advancement and job transition through acquiring AutoCAD Civil 3D skills. The prerequisites for this course are CAD 101 and CAD 201, or equivalent experience.
You will be provided source Civil 3D files, which you will use to start your project. You will be provided videos which will guide you through the learning process. There will be quizzes relating to your project as well as to your reading assignments. There will be discussion forums in which you will be participating. There will be regular progress submissions of the work you completed and there will also be 1:1 time with your instructor.
Please look at the "Topics" section to see the specific topics covered in the course.
This course is recommended for drafters, designers, surveyors and engineers that are new to Civil or Civil 3D and those coming from Land Development Desktop. Civil 3D is different enough from Land Desktop that it is best to start with the basics. Course emphasizes the basic civil engineering tools within Civil 3D.
- Create a topographic survey document by importing relevant field-generated data.
- Develop site parcels, using survey data; properly displaying parcel data; including surface generation and surface manipulation.
- Create site profile views, terrain profiles, and design profiles.
- Master surface and point manipulation including fine-tuning manipulation to accurately.
This course is designed for civil engineers, civil engineering drafters, surveyors, utilities engineers, storm water engineers and others involved in the construction industry looking for an introduction of using AutoCAD Civil 3D to provide CAD and BIM-based project documentation for their projects.
Class participants will receive a grade based on their competency proven in the assessments (quizzes and tests) and their participation in the discussion forums.
Class grades will be determined by the total number of points achieved in the following categories:
Final grades are determined using the following scale:
|Letter Grade||Percent||Grade Points|
|A+||98 - 100||4.00|
|A||94 - 97||3.67|
|A-||90 - 93||3.50|
|B+||87 - 89||3.33|
|B||83 - 86||3.00|
|B-||80 - 82||2.67|
|C+||77 - 79||2.33|
|C||73 - 76||2.00|
|C-||70 - 72||1.67|
|D+||67 - 69||1.33|
|D||63 - 66||1.00|
|D-||60 - 62||0.67|
|F||0 - 59||0.00|
The weighted values will be summed into total points achieved.
Open labs are available for use in completing homework assignments and for additional "practice time" for all of our students who are within a convenient driving distance of our San Diego campus.
There is an additional cost for technical support setting up your computer system loading the Autodesk software, if you need that additional support. Please contact our Program Manager at 619-758-9300 or firstname.lastname@example.org to receive that information.
AutoDesk Certification Objectives
- Create and use object styles
- Create and use label styles
LINES AND CURVES
- Use the line and curve commands
- Create points using the Point Creation commands
- Create points by importing point data
- Use point groups to control the display of points
- Identify key characteristics of surfaces
- Create and edit surfaces
- Use styles and settings to display surface information
- Create a surface by assembling fundamental data
- Use styles to analyze surface display results
- Annotate surfaces
- Design a parcel layout
- Select parcel styles to change the display of parcels
- Select styles to annotate parcels
- Design a geometric layout
- Create alignments
PROFILES AND PROFILE VIEWS
- Create a surface profile
- Design a profile
- Create a profile view style
- Create a profile view
- Identify key characteristics of survey data
- Use description keys to control the display of points created from survey data
- Create a boundary drawing from field data
Certification / Accreditation
- Autodesk Course e-certificate: The VDCI onsite and online courses are approved by Autodesk.
- cadteacher/VDCI is an Authorized Autodesk Training Center (ATC).
- State of California Approval - Our individual courses, training bundles and technology certificate programs are approved by the State of California's Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) for both online and onsite learning.
- National Accreditation - Our individual courses, training bundles and technology certificate programs are nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). All of our courses are regulated and reviewed by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Autodesk Professional Certification Exams: For many of their software programs, Autodesk offers User and Professional Certification Exams which test your skills and knowledge. VDCI strongly encourages our students to take the exams and to become Certified Autodesk Professionals. As an Autodesk Certified Professional, you can enhance your credibility and can accelerate your professional development. Many employers insist on hiring Autodesk Certified Professionals.
- At least 1 year of AutoCAD drafting experience or equivalent AutoCAD training (CAD101 and CAD 201). Fundamental working knowledge of the Windows environment.
Computer Hardware Requirements
- In order to run Civil 3D software, your computer must meet these hardware requirements
- AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Mastering Autodesk Civil 3D
Our classes are fast-track, accelerated courses.
If you have ANY CONCERNS about your computer competency, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you improve your computer skills before attending the class.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth with a download speed of 10 Mbps.
Free Access to the Software
While you are a student at VDCI, you will be provided free access to the software needed to participate in your course. The software provided will either be downloaded directly onto your machine or you will access the software on one of our Virtual Servers. Throughout your studies at VDCI, it is very important that you have access to good-quality Internet bandwidth. It is also very important, if you are accessing our Virtual Servers, that you pay special attention to the MP4 and PDF guidance provided regarding saving your project files (datasets) onto your local machine.
There are two discussion forums for the course, the Student Forum and the Graded Forum.
The Student Forum is for you to interact with your fellow classmates, to discuss issues you are having, and get to know one other much like you would in a classroom environment.
The Graded Discussion Forum requires an initial post and a response to another student. These will be part of your final grade. Your initial discussion post is due Monday, one week from the beginning of class, by 11:55pm Pacific Time. Your second discussion post must be a response to another student, and it is due by the end of the course.
VDCI Student Lounge
The VDCI Student Lounge is open to all VDCI Students and Alumni. In the Student Lounge, you are welcome to ask general questions to your VDCI colleagues. Instructors and VDCI staff regularly chime in. This is a great center of engagement for our VDCI community.
Students will receive a detailed syllabus once they are enrolled in the course.
Lesson 1 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students become familiar with the AutoCAD Civil 3D User Interface, tool space, and its dynamic environment.
Lesson 2 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin working with site specific survey information in the Civil 3D environment.
Lesson 3 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin creating, modifying, and analyzing surfaces in the Civil 3D environment.
Lesson 4 - Equivalent of Four (4) On-Site Clock Hours
Students begin creating and modifying parcels in the Civil 3D environment.
Lesson 5 - Equivalent of Six (6) On-Site Clock Hours
Students add alignments to their site and learn how to modify and add labels to them.
Lesson 6 - Equivalent of Six (6) On-Site Clock Hours
Students add surface profiles, alignment profiles, and profile views to their drawings and also begin work on the final submission.
cadteacher / vdci online course – ALL COURSES
|Jan 04 - Jan 21, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jan 25 - Feb 11, 2019||ONLINE|
|Feb 15 - Mar 04, 2019||ONLINE|
|Mar 08 - Mar 25, 2019||ONLINE|
|Mar 29 - Apr 15, 2019||ONLINE|
|Apr 19 - May 06, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 10 - May 27, 2019||ONLINE|
|May 31 - Jun 17, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jun 21 - Jul 8, 2019||ONLINE|
|Jul 12 - Jul 29, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 02 - Aug 19, 2019||ONLINE|
|Aug 23 - Sep 09, 2019||ONLINE|
|Sep 13 - Sep 30, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 04 - Oct 21, 2019||ONLINE|
|Oct 25 - Nov 11, 2019||ONLINE|
|Nov 15 - Dec 02, 2019||ONLINE|
|Dec 06 - Dec 23, 2019||ONLINE|